Notes on Keycloak - Identity and Access Management for Modern Applications
Notes on Keycloak - Identity and Access Management for Modern Applications#
1. Getting Started with Keycloak#
Keycloak is an open source Identity and Access Management tool with a focus on modern applications such as single-page applications, mobile applications, and REST APIs.
Started in 2014
- Fully customizable login pages
- Strong authentication
- Various flows: Recovery of passwords
- Requiring users to regularly update the passwords
- Accepting terms and conditions
By delegating authentication to Keycloak, your applications do not need to worry about different authentication mechanisms, or how to safely store passwords. This approach also provides a higher level of security as applications do not have direct access to user credentials; they are instead provided with security tokens that give them only access to what they need.